Warm bread with butter on a cool, damp day makes me happy. Today’s dreary weather had me craving the coziness of an oven warmed kitchen and the goodness of a homemade treat. After lunch, my sous chef (aka my oldest daughter) and I made a recently discovered gluten-free bread recipe from The Frugal Farm Wife.
When it comes to gluten-free bread recipes, I usually have my doubts. Gluten-free breads are notorious for being dry and crumbly but this zucchini bread recipe had me optimistically hopeful. The recipe promised a moist, delicious tasting bread and it lived up to its promise. The bread has wonderful flavor, great consistency, and is perfectly moist!
Gluten Free Zucchini Bread Recipe
Makes two loaves.
- 3 cups gluten free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour)
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum (I used Bob’s Red Mill – Xanthan Gum)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 ½ cups shredded zucchini
- 3 eggs
- 1 banana- very ripe banana (I used a ripe, frozen one)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325º
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Blend banana in a food processor or mash banana in bowl
- Pulse to combine eggs, oil, and vanilla. If not using a food processor, beat the ingredients in with the banana.
- Add shredded zucchini to the banana/egg/oil mixture.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix until everything is combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrape flour up from the bottom and mix it in.
- Divide batter between two greased loaf pans. (or muffin tins, mini loaf pans)
- Place the loaf pans in the center of the preheated oven, and bake, until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of each loaf comes out clean (about 50 minutes).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for ten minutes.
- Loosen edges with a butter knife, and turn onto wire cooling grid to finish cooling.