These gluten-free chocolate cupcakes are delicious! The recipe can also be made into a vegan treat when substituting the frosting for a dairy-free one.
Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
Recipe by Emily, adapted from One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcake Recipes by Deanna F. Cook, Baking Class- 50 Fun Recipes Kids Will Love,
Raspberry filling: https://www.wilton.com/raspberry-filling/WLRECIP-209.html
for the cupcakes:
frosting: adapted from Vanilla American Buttercream, by Rose Atwater, Cake Decorating For Beginners
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 3-4 tablespoons of milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds (approximately 8 cups) powdered sugar
- icing colors
- icing bags and tips
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Make the raspberry filling.
- Line 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Stir sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder in a large bowl.
- Add the water, coconut oil, vinegar, and almond extract. Mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into cups until they are two-thirds full.
- Bake for 25 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.)
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat shortening and butter until smooth.
- Add two tablespoons milk, salt, and half the powdered sugar. Mix until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Keep mixing, slowly add the remaining powder sugar and milk until desired consistency.
- Divide frosting into separate bowls, add icing colors, mix, and put in piping bags.
- Make sure cupcakes are completely cooled. Using a small spoon, scoop out the centers of the cupcakes, take out excess crumbs (save crumbs.) Fill with desired amount of raspberry filling. Then take the crumbs and fill in to cover the top of the filling.
- Decorate cupcakes with frosting.